Hosting Blog – PHOENIX - SmarterTools Inc. is proud to announce the release of SmarterMail 7.x. The latest release of the mail server software includes a newly designed webmail interface and a number of other new additions that provide users with quick and convenient access to the software’s communication, collaboration and synchronization tools.
With this release, we completely redesigned SmarterMail to make it easier for users to find and use the features they need so they can work more productively,‖ said Tim Uzzanti, CEO of SmarterTools. ―Plus, the manner in which we implemented the new design and features improves the overall stability and performance of the mail server, making management of the system even simpler for system administrators.
New features and enhancements in SmarterMail 7.x include:
- Improved Searching – SmarterMail’s search function has been enhanced with a new indexing engine to return faster, more accurate results. Now users can find any message, appointment, attachment, contact, task or note from anywhere in the interface. System administrators will also notice that the improved indexing reduces server utilization.
- Synchronization Center – To help users determine which desktop applications and mobile devices can be synced with SmarterMail, SmarterTools developed a synchronization center. When users access the synchronization center from the webmail interface, they’ll be able to see the available synchronization protocols for each application/device and view a list of their current sync connections. Popular mobile devices that sync with SmarterMail include the Droid X, iPhone 4G and iPad.
- File Storage – Files that are too large to be attached to messages can now be uploaded to the server and shared through public links—making it easier for users to share files and easing the load on the mail server spools.
- CalDAV and CardDAV Support – SmarterMail 7.x introduces support for CalDAV and CardDav, giving users with Mac, iPhone, iPad, and other clients that utilize the technology additional options for synchronizing contacts and calendars.
- Follow-up Flagging – To help users easily identify email messages that need follow-up action, SmarterMail 7.x introduces follow-up flagging. Emails marked for follow-up display a red flag icon within the message header and can be easily accessed from the special follow-ups view within webmail, ensuring that important emails can be identified at a glance.
- Linked Tasks – Because email exchanges often result in new tasks, SmarterMail 7.x includes the ability to link a message to a task. Linked tasks display their start and due dates on calendars just like regular tasks do, but they’re also available from a special linked tasks view. By linking emails and tasks together, users can ensure relevant communications regarding a task are always easily accessible and available.
- Mailbox Migration – Upon initial login, SmarterMail informs new users that they can easily transfer their email, contacts, calendars, tasks, and notes from another provider to their new mailbox with the mailbox migration tool. The mailbox migration tool eases the transition to SmarterMail from other mail systems by walking users through the migration process without any help from system administrators.
- Auto-saved Email Addresses – Because most users send email to the same recipients, SmarterMail 7.x automatically pulls email addresses from the Sent Items folder and saves them separately from emails in the contacts list. These auto-saved email addresses are then used to auto-complete the To, Cc and Bcc fields when applicable and can easily be deleted if necessary.
- Enhanced Contacts View – Along with a totally redesigned contacts view, SmarterMail 7.x also provides users with a list of the most recent messages, appointments, and attachments related to each contact in one, convenient location.
- Free-Busy Scheduler and Availability Checking – SmarterMail 7.x includes two new features to help users schedule time to communicate and collaborate. With the free-busy scheduler, users can now note important events on their calendars without appearing as unavailable to meet at that time. Redesigned appointment invites include the option to check availability before accepting the invitation, ensuring users never double-book appointments again.
- Multiple System Administrator Accounts – SmarterMail 7.x fulfills a request to allow hosting companies and businesses to provide system administrator access to the mail server without having to share the same login information. Now SmarterMail installations can have multiple system administrator accounts, each with separate login credentials.
Scalable and easy to manage, SmarterMail 7.x further expands on an already robust feature set that includes a rich webmail interface; synchronization with Microsoft Outlook and most mobile devices using Exchange ActiveSync; and optional add-ons for Commtouch’s Antispam and Zero-hour Antivirus.
SmarterMail is available at the SmarterTools website and through authorized resellers. A complete list of new features and improvements is available by viewing the SmarterMail 7.x release notes.
About SmarterTools Inc.
Founded in 2003, SmarterTools Inc. is an information technology management software company based in Phoenix, Arizona. SmarterTools develops a Windows mail server, customer service software, and Web log analytics and SEO software that help companies communicate, measure, and support their worldwide business operations. Additional information about SmarterTools Inc. and the SmarterTools product line is available at www.smartertools.com.
Looking to switch web hosting providers? Review and select an Approved Dedicated Servers today at DNray.com.