View Full Version : Aplus.net / Furious Newbie

delgada
11-03-2002, 03:10 PM
Hi everyone, I was searching for a way to rate and compare web hosting services and I came across this forum. I need to vent, and ask for some advice. Sorry, this is long:

I have used Aplus.net for a year, and have had nothing but problems with them. No response to emails, calls, and mistakes made on e-v-e-r-y service request. I have a very successful retail site, I make my living from it, and they have repeatedly made mistakes that have cost me major traffic and sales. They generally take 3-4 phone calls to straighten out.

Without detailing each and every problem I'll just explain the latest one:

I have an established url, which generates the majority of my traffic. Very early on, I needed to change the domain name (from "fish.com" to "fishing.com" for example) and had my original url operate as a forwarding url. Simple, right? Well, the month that a national magazine publishes an article about my website, and accidentally publishes my original url, Aplus.net "loses" several forwarding urls, and notifies no one. I saw my traffic and sales dry up. My hits went from 350 daily to 20. It took over a week, and unknown lost sales to get it back to the way it was.

This month, I had to renew ownership that same, forwarding url, and because every time I call them it results in totally unrelated problems cropping up with my site, I told the sales person "I'm terrified just to renew this. It's a forwarding url, that needs to not change, I just have to renew my ownership of the domain and it must keep forwarding". I get and earful of 'yeah, yeah, sure sure..."

They closed my account. It's taken me three days to get a person on the phone. Who ("please don't get mad at me") can't do anything about it until Monday. In the meantime I could lose ownership of my domain. Oh, and they charged me for it already as if it's working fine.

What I want to know is:

If I lose ownership of my domain name, which essentially means my business....can I sue them?

How difficult is it to get a host to pro-rate the remainder of a paid up-front year subscription?

Has anyone else had any dealing with them? They've been nothing but nightmarish for me. I've gotten the impression that they're operating out of someone's basement.

If you've made it this far, I really appreciate it.

NorthwindHost
04-21-2003, 10:50 PM
Aplus isn't run from a basement. Its actually quite huge but their support is indeed terrible.

They have actually been taken off the BBB because of it. Also, they offer unlimited meanwhile, I know a friend who used up like 20GB of Transfer and closed his account. Saying that he used up to much Transfer. I see no unlimited in that. =P.

I would advise you look for a new host.